CINESPARK-logo-solid WEB

Congratulations to the winner of the 2017 CINESPARK competition:

Her Name Is Destiny
Producer: Luke Connor
Writer: Alex Miller

 

* Watch for our next call for submissions in Fall 2017 *

Ignite the production of your short film.

 

We are positively electrified to announce a new short film script and pitch competition in conjunction with our 5th annual Short Circuit Film Festival.

 

CINE⚡️SPARK will provide a total of more than $10,000 in cash and in-kind equipment rentals and services to the production of an outstanding short film script by a writer/filmmaker from Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands.

 

After an open call for submissions, the top 5 scripts will be announced and read live at the Short Circuit: Pacific Rim Film Festival program launch event on April 6th. These 5 finalists will then pitch their projects in front of a live audience at Short Circuit on Saturday May 13th. The winner will be announced at the festival’s closing reception on Sunday May 14th.

 

Prize package includes:

•  $1,000 cash grant
•  $9,000 in-kind equipment rentals from CineVic
•  $100 Modo driving credits toward production van rental
•  Production Insurance - 10 consecutive days of coverage ($150 value)
•  One-year complimentary CineVic Production Membership ($220 value)

CineVic has been supporting the production of independent film and media art on Vancouver Island for over 25 years. CINESPARK represents a new evolution of our previous film incubator programs The Auteur Series and Artist in Residence.

submit.
pitch.
ignite.

over
$10,000
total prize value

Early Deadline:
February 15, 2017
$35

Regular Deadline:
February 28, 2017
$50

Final Deadline:
March 15, 2017
Reduced entry fee!
$50

5 Finalists Announced:
April 2017

Pitch Event @ Short Circuit:
May 13, 2017

CineVic gratefully acknowledges the financial assistance and support of Canada Council for the Arts, Province of British Columbia, British Columbia Arts Council, and the CRD Arts Development Service through the participating municipalities of Esquimalt, Highlands, Metchosin, Oak Bay, Saanich, Sidney, Victoria and View Royal.

Short Circuit and CINE⚡️SPARK sponsors:

        

Rules and Guidelines:

• The CINESPARK competition is open to anyone residing on Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands.

• Entrants must submit a complete short film script in standard script format with the writer’s name and contact info removed.

• At the submission stage, a fully assembled team of writer, director, and producer is allowed but not required.

• Scripts can be 10 pages maximum, not including title page. Scripts must be an original work and must be live-action narrative in any genre. (Documentary, animation, or experimental films will not be accepted.)

• Submissions are judged based on both creativity and feasibility of production.

• 5 Finalists will be announced and their scripts will be read at the Victoria Cold Reading Series and Short Circuit program launch event in April 2017 (details TBA). Writers must be in attendance at this event to advance in the competition.

• These 5 Writers will then form their teams with a Director and Producer in preparation for the pitch. The Writer may fill 2, but not 3, of these key positions.

• Teams will pitch their projects at Short Circuit, Saturday May 13, 2017. Any one or a combination of all three team members (Writer, Director, Producer) may participate in the pitch presentation. Teams will be allowed 5 minutes maximum for their presentation, plus a brief Q&A period.

• The winning team will receive a $1,000 cash grant, up to $9,000 of in-kind equipment rentals from CineVic, $100 Modo driving credits toward production van rental (pending approval of driving records - up to 2 drivers allowed), production insurance coverage of 10 consecutive days (pending approval of insurance application), and a one-year complimentary CineVic Production Membership -- a total contribution valued at over $10,000. The winning team will be required to share a picture or video of their Modo van use during the film shoot.

• The winning team will enter into a Production Agreement with CineVic Society of Independent Filmmakers and will have a one-year deadline to complete the film. 75% of the cash grant will be released upon signing of the agreement, and the remaining 25% will be released upon receipt of the finished film and promotional materials. CineVic will maintain first rights to a Victoria premiere screening of the finished film.

• Winners may not submit to future instances of this competition. 

• CineVic reserves the right to cancel this program and refund entry fees.